I've been agonizing over the question of why I can't connect an 86Box virtual
machine powered by FreeDOS to the Internet. But now, it seems, I have found a
fix, or at least a preliminary one.

Using a fine-toothed comb (as it were), I went over the FDAUTO.BAT file and
found that it referenced another batch file that handled all of the networking
stuff, namely, C:\FREEDOS\BIN\FDNET.BAT. So, going over THAT, I arrived at what
I figured was a critical line in the second batch file, which was vinfo /m​.
Typing this into the command line didn't seem to do anything, but when I typed
vinfo /m | echo %errorlevel%​, lo and behold, FreeDOS returned the number 5.
So, going back into FDNET.BAT, I eventually arrived at this piece of code:
​```
:hw086
:hw186
:hw286
:hw386
:hw486
:hw586
:hw686
:NoHardware
vecho /t %_FDNET.LANG% ERROR.HARDWARE
goto End
```
and that's why it told me that Physical hardware networking is not supported at
this time.​

Well...

Not willing to admit defeat, I continued going through FDNET.BAT to find out
what it was about VirtualBox and VMware that made the network go...

...and both of them branched to :vmGeneric​.

From THERE, I discovered that FreeDOS supports three network card families: AMD
PCnet, Realtek RTL8139, and NE2000-compatibles – the same ones used by
VirtualBox, VMware, and (though I haven't used FreeDOS on this) QEMU!

So, going back to the physical hardware section of the batch file, I simply
added a branching line after :hw686​, so that the code block now reads:
```
:hw086
:hw186
:hw286
:hw386
:hw486
:hw586
:hw686
goto vmGeneric

:NoHardware
vecho /t %_FDNET.LANG% ERROR.HARDWARE
goto End
```
and opened the 86Box configuration to install an AMD PCnet-FAST III into an
emulated PCI slot, which triggered a hard reset.

And wouldn't you know? The network worked!

I was able to ping www.google.com​ and get a pong sent back to me. I'm kinda
having a little bit of difficulty with fdnpkg​ though, so maybe there are still
some kinks to work out. But for right now, I can declare at least a preliminary
victory!

Brandon Taylor