Hi,

> On Aug 3, 2024, at 12:09 PM, Norby Droid via Freedos-user
> <freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
> You can check the cmos battery.  This battery is round and thin and is what
> keeps the date and time from resetting.  May be some other issue, but that is
> one place ya can start.

Some laptops use the main battery and do not have a special battery for the
CMOS/Clock.

Also, some desktop machines can be a little different.

For example, my PentiumPro does not have a battery per se. Instead, it has is a
Dallas DS12887A integrated circuit. Inside that  “chip” are the RTC, CMOS
memory and a battery. After the system was about 23 years old, the battery
inside the chip eventually failed. I had to de-solder the IC. Dropped in a
socket and a new chip. The first chip I dropped in was “new old stock” and only
lasted a few months. However, I then found someone who has been manufacturing
new ones. Stuck it in a couple years ago and has been fine since. There are
known mods to add a external battery to that chip. But, I never bothered.

But like Norby said…

Most desktop machines have a “coin” or “button” battery for the clock and CMOS
memory.

Hopefully, it is just that and not something more serious.

:-)

Jerome