SUCCESS!!!!    Thanks Jerome. I was able to get a working version of FreeDOS installed an running.  When building from the FloppyEdition, the only file I needed to copy over was KERNEL.SYS and then the system booted and ran properly. I'm still going to take your advice and look into tailoring the FDCONFIG.SYS and FDAUTO.BAT files for 8086 environment.

For those who may stumble on this, The process I undertook was

* Wipe the SD Card clean using `sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=1M` under linux.

* Partition the SD Card on the 8086 machine. (Luckily I still had 1 working DOS floppy disk)

* Install FreeDOS running under QEMU directly to the SD card from the Floppy Edition images (Learning how to change floppies under QEMU was a novel experience)

* Copy the KERNEL.SYS from the floppy edition over the one installed under QEMU.

For all those who helped along the way, many thanks. Trevor