I recently pulled a Dell Inspiron 1150 from my local landfill. This is a
Windows XP-era laptop. It has an Intel Celeron 2.6 GHz, and I installed 2 GB of
RAM.
    I was able to install FreeDOS on it, but it will only run in safe mode. The
other options (JEMMEX, JEMM386, etc.) freeze on their loading screens.
Specifically, I'll get the message 'JemmEx v5.79 [02/02/20]', and then a
blinking cursor indefinitely.
    Not sure if this has to do with safe mode, but I can only get sound from
the 'bell', I can't play MP3s.
    One additional bit of information: I have tried installing 32-bit Haiku OS
on the laptop, and that has not worked, either.

    My question: is this a) something wrong in the hardware, b) something wrong
in FreeDOS, or c) expected behavior? I remember installing FreeDOS on a 701C,
and even that was able to play an MP3, albeit verrrry slowly.

    As it stands, I can run Vim, I can run games, and I can read AMB-format
e-books, so it is usable for me.

       Thanks,

          Nicholas