Standa Laznicka via FreeIPA-devel wrote:
> On 02/21/2018 10:17 AM, Alexander Koksharov via FreeIPA-devel wrote:
>> let me put
>> ​ ​
>> ​ ​
>> couple of scenarious here:
>> - install server
>>   install it and configure with authselect. there is no --no-sssd
>> option for the server installation
>> - upgrade server
>>   bakup authselect configuration. apply authselect sssd profile
>> overwriting what was there before.
>> - upgrade client
>>   not applicable. only new binaries are copied onto the system
>> - install client
>>   a) if we replace rpm dependancy on authconfig with aushselect we can
>> go only this way: new installations done with authselect. if --no-sssd
>> option is provided, then fail.
>
> --no-sssd option is already deprecated and should not be used, you don't
> have to think about that scenario. You can therefore go the a) way and
> remove the option as a whole so that you can be sure it won't fiddle
> with new installations.

I can't seem to find anywhere that this deprecation was announced or
discussed other than the ticket and commit,
dfc271fdf4514481c11c342fabda135feeb44de6.

Did anyone ask users, or anyone, if they use this option?

In any case it isn't even clear that the option *is* deprecated. It just
doesn't show as an option to ipa-client -install (hiding is not
deprecating).

IMHO to properly deprecate something it should yell loudly whenever
invoked with a dire warning that it will disappear in the future.

There is also no man page mention of deprecation, in fact the option is
still there.

So even if the deprecation is fine and considered, removing the option
completely has had no visible discussion.

rob