On ti, 04 syys 2018, Timo Aaltonen via FreeIPA-devel wrote:
On 04.09.2018 15:24, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
On ma, 03 syys 2018, Timo Aaltonen via FreeIPA-devel wrote:
On 03.09.2018 14:50, Christian Heimes wrote:
Further more, Debian and Ubuntu need to use Python 3.6 or newer instead
of Python 2.7. As far as I know, Samba is holding back FreeIPA on these
distributions.

Right, the root reason is this:

https://github.com/samba-team/samba/pull/110

same issue with src:talloc, so if there's anyone at RH who could help to
fix this issue upstream then that would be great.
This is *not* a root reason for us not using Python 3 in Samba. A real
reason is that Samba AD DC code cannot be run with Python 3 yet at all,
as well as majority of the Samba test suite.

No, but it's a problem for Debian/Ubuntu to provide py3 bindings which
freeipa needs.. talloc et al. Having the multiarch string in the
resulting library name is bad. This needs to be fixed upstream.
"bad" is an opinion. Technically we have it working and there is no
reason to claim Debian couldn't do the same as upstream does.

So it works for upstream which runs its build farm on Ubuntu and it
works for Fedora/OpenSUSE. At this point if Debian/Ubuntu needs
something else, I'd rather see you guys actively involved upstream to
explain and provide patches. The pull request above seems stuck with not
much of explanation of why is it needed beyond an opinion how shared
objects should be named.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer