On 02/23/2011 11:53 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Wed, 23 Feb 2011 23:41:33 +0100
Pavel Zůna<pz...@redhat.com>  wrote:

On 2011-02-15 16:36, JR Aquino wrote:
On 2/15/11 6:52 AM, "Simo Sorce"<sso...@redhat.com>   wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 15:19:50 +0100
Pavel Zuna<pz...@redhat.com>   wrote:

I can't reproduce this. :-/

For me it goes fine:

[root@ipadev tools]# ./ipa-nis-manage enable
Directory Manager password:

Enabling plugin
This setting will not take effect until you restart Directory
Server. The rpcbind service may need to be started.

Pavel,
Jr has set the minimum ssf to a non default value to test a
configuration in which all communications are required to be
encrypted. That's why you can't reproduce with the vanilla
configuration.

We want to support that mode although it won't be the default, so
we need to fix any issue that causes that configuration to break
(ie all non-encrypted/non-ldapi connections).

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York

The best way to do this is:

-=-
service ipa stop
Edit /etc/dirsrv/slapd-DOMAIN/dse.ldif

Change:
nsslapd-minssf: 0

nsslapd-minssf: 56<- 56 is chosen because SASL communicates a 56bit
handshake even though we utilize a much strong cipher... (It is a
known bug/feature)

service ipa start

I tried to use the LDAPUpdate class (ipaserver/install/ldapupdate.py)
with ldapi=True, but it raises a NotFound exception when trying to
call IPAdmin.do_external_bind() (ipaserver/ipaldap.py). This
exception originates in IPAdmin.__lateinit() when trying to retrieve
this

cn=config,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config

For some reason it looks like this entry is inaccessible when doing a
SASL EXTERNAL bind as root.

I can retrieve the entry as "cn=directory manager":

[root@vm-090 freeipa]# ldapsearch -D "cn=directory manager" -W -H
ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fslapd-IDM-LAB-BOS-REDHAT-COM.socket -b
"cn=config,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config" -s one
Enter LDAP Password:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base<cn=config,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config>  with scope
oneLevel # filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# default indexes, config, ldbm database, plugins, config
dn: cn=default indexes,cn=config,cn=ldbm database,cn=plugins,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: extensibleObject
cn: default indexes

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

but not as root:

[root@vm-090 freeipa]# ldapsearch -Y EXTERNAL -H
ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fslapd-IDM-LAB-BOS-REDHAT-COM.socket -b
"cn=config" SASL/EXTERNAL authentication started
SASL username: gidNumber=0+uidNumber=0,cn=peercred,cn=external,cn=auth
SASL SSF: 0
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base<cn=config>  with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# SNMP, config
dn: cn=SNMP,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: nsSNMP
cn: SNMP
nsSNMPEnabled: on

# 2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.9, features, config
dn: oid=2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.9,cn=features,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: directoryServerFeature
oid: 2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.9
cn: VLV Request Control

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 3
# numEntries: 2

I'm not sure what the problem is, I tried setting different SASL
security properties, but nothing helped. :( Next step is to analyze
DS logs, but before I do that, I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips
on what the solution might be.

We have very strict ACIs when using EXTERNAL SASL as root.
Is there any reason you need to operate as root ?
you can also authenticate with SIMPLE (Dir MGr credentials), or
SASL/GSSAPI if you ahve credentials.

If you need to run unattended as root then we may need to make
root+SASL/EXTERNAL more powerful but I'd like to understand exactly why
you need that and can't use regular authentication with DirMgr or
GSSAPI credentials.

Simo.

Thanks for advice! New version of the patch attached.

Pavel