On 09/23/2011 11:52 AM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Adam Young wrote:
On 09/23/2011 02:02 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On Thu, 2011-09-22 at 22:05 -0400, Adam Young wrote:
On 09/22/2011 08:31 PM, Endi Sukma Dewata wrote:
OPEN QUESTION: should we implement these new commands also for
discrete
DNS records types to be consistent? I mean for example A, AAAA, CNAME,
PTR, ... They would look like

ipa dnsrecord-aaaa-add --ip-address=IPAddress
BENEFITS of this approach (command per RR type):
- use can get all help for RR type by simply typing "ipa help
dnsrecord-mx-add"
- we would be able to implement helper methods consistently on one
place, for example:
dnsrecord-aaaa-add --from-mac=00:1D:BA:06:37:64
If we have this for all record types the UI can use a generic code to
figure out which command to use. Everything will be in this pattern:
dnsrecord-<rrtype>-add/mod/del<primary keys> [parameters*]
We won't have it for all types, so we will need a map. Most will use
the old API, and a few will use the pattern above
I think to make this all as consistent as possible, new API shall be
implemented for all types (except unsupported and DNSSEC ones). Rob did
agree with this approach too.

Martin

We need to be able to display even the unsupported types, as they might
end up in the Database. We can work around that limitation.

IMHO if we can't manage them we shouldn't show them.

rob

Yeah, probably. If you can guarantee it from the server side, I'm OK with that.