On 04/10/2012 05:31 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 04/10/2012 05:03 PM, Jan Cholasta wrote:
>> On 04/10/2012 05:31 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
>>
>> tl;dr: --setattr work on IPA-managed attributes (with validation) is a
>> mistake.
+1

>> It adds no functionality, only complexity. We don't want people
>> to use it. It will cost us a lot of maintenance work to support.
>>

> I wholeheartedly agree.

I absolutely agree. Why we should write validation code twice?
But things are worse than only code duplicity:
Small differences between two versions of code lead to problems with code maintenance and potentially add a lot of bugs.

Petr^2 Spacek

To be functionally complete, we should also add validated equivalents of
--{add,del}attr to *-mod commands for all multivalue params (think

We need something like that anyway. Requiring users to learn raw LDAP
attribute names and value encodings, which they'd need for --setattr, is
suboptimal to say the least.