Martin Kosek wrote:
On Thu, 2012-05-10 at 15:19 +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 04/10/2012 07:53 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 19:25 +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 04/10/2012 07:07 PM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On Tue, 2012-04-10 at 17:03 +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 10.4.2012 16:00, Petr Viktorin wrote:
[snip]
Like you said above, we should either not validate --{set,add,del}attr
or don't allow them on known attributes.

IMHO, validating attributes we manage in the same way for both --setattr
and standard attrs is not that wrong. It is a good precaution, because
if we let an unvalidated value in, it can make even a bigger mess later
in our pre_callbacks or post_callbacks where we assume that at this
point everything is valid.

Then we should validate *exactly* the same way, including not allowing
no_update attributes to be updated.

That makes some sense, I could agree with that.

Now that I have a ticket on this
(https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2580), I would like to get some
wider agreement here.

The no_update/no_create attributes are mainly "enabled" flags
(ipaenabledflag, nsaccountlock, idnszoneactive), administrative
(krbprincipalname, ipauniqueid, ipacertificatesubjectbase), DNS record
type and data, and various virtual attributes.

If setattr etc. is disabled for all of these, it will mainly matter for
the "enabled" flags. To be honest I don't know why we only allow
modifying those through special commands.
If there's some security reason for that, then setattr etc. should be
disabled for them; otherwise I think they should be changeable through
xyz-mod.

I am not aware of any security reasons why we use special commands for
enabling/disabling objects. I assume this is to make it different from
standard object attribute changes and make sure that user does not
disable the object "by accident" when doing a mod operation. Rob, maybe
you remember the reason for this interface....

But since we already have this approach, we should keep it and implement
missing "xyz-enable" and "xyz-disable" command so that user's using
*attr interface to play with enabled/disabled attributes can switch to
the specialized commands.

So far, I noticed that only DNS zone object misses the enable/disable
commands, I created a ticket to fix that:

Either way, setattr etc. should honor the no_update flags. Any objections?

Nope - as long as ticket 2754 is fixed.

Martin

I think those are there so they don't show up for the -mod command since we have a separate interface for doing it.