On 01/31/2013 07:35 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
Petr Viktorin wrote:
On 12/14/2012 01:46 AM, Dmitri Pal wrote:
On 12/13/2012 10:21 AM, Petr Viktorin wrote:

Here is a collection of smallish fixes to `ipa help` and `ipa
<something> --help`.
This should address most of Nikolai's proposal.
Additionally, it's now possible to run `ipa <command> --help` without
a Kerberos ticket. And there are some new tests.

I've not included the "Often used commands" in `ipa help`; I think
that is material for a manual/tutorial, not a help command. Selecting
a topic from `ipa topics` and then choosing a command from `ipa help
<TOPIC>` is a better way to use the help than the verbose `ipa help
commands` or proposed incomplete "Often used commands".

Since the ticket has a bit of discussion and you indicate that you did
not to address everything can you please extract what have been
addressed and put it into a design page.
I know it is not RFE but it would help to validate the changes by
testers.
Please put the wiki link into the ticket.

http://freeipa.org/page/V3/Help

What is the purpose of the no-option outfile? Do you anticipate at some
point opening this up as a real option or making it easier to log while
using the api directly?

On incorrect invocation (`ipa`, `ipa TOPIC`), the help command is called internally with outfile=sys.stderr.

The help for help is a little confusing:

-----
Purpose: Display help for a command or topic.
Usage: ipa [global-options] help [TOPIC] [options]

Positional arguments:
   TOPIC       The topic or command name.

   -h, --help  show this help message and exit
-----

Should [TOPIC] be [TOPIC | COMMAND] or something else?

I'm trying to discourage `ipa help COMMAND` in favor of `ipa COMMAND --help`, that way you get the proper help for ambiguous words like "ping" (https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3247)

I also wanted to keep the help simple and not explain this unimportant detail here.

If you have better wording I can of course change it.

On my fresh F-18 install one of the new unit tests fails:

FAIL: Test that `help user-add` & `user-add -h` are equivalent and
contain doc
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/nose/case.py", line 197, in
runTest
     self.test(*self.arg)
   File "/home/rcrit/redhat/freeipa/tests/test_cmdline/test_help.py",
line 111, in test_command_help
     assert h_ctx.stdout == help_ctx.stdout
AssertionError

This is weird, it works for me. Could you send me the two outputs so I can get some idea what's wrong?

I'm not sure the errors to stderr are working either:

$ ipa user-show foo bar baz 2 > /dev/null
ipa: ERROR: command 'user_show' takes at most 1 argument

That's just bash being evil, passing 2 as an argument and redirecting stdout.

$ ipa user-show foo bar baz 2>/tmp/err
$ cat /tmp/err
ipa: ERROR: command 'user_show' takes at most 1 argument

--
PetrĀ³