On 09/01/2015 07:34 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Tue, 2015-09-01 at 07:17 -0600, Rich Megginson wrote:
On 09/01/2015 05:39 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 1.9.2015 00:42, Rich Megginson wrote:
On 08/31/2015 11:00 AM, Simo Sorce wrote:
On Mon, 2015-08-31 at 10:15 -0600, Rich Megginson wrote:
On 08/31/2015 01:35 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 26.8.2015 20:09, Rich Megginson wrote:
On 08/25/2015 09:08 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
On 8.7.2015 19:56, Rich Megginson wrote:
On 07/08/2015 10:11 AM, Petr Spacek wrote:
Assuming that Designate wants to own DNS and be Primary Master, it
would be
awesome if they could support standard DNS UPDATE protocol (RFC 2136)
alongside their own JSON API.

The JSON API is superset of DNS UPDATE protocol because it allows to add
zones
but still, standard protocol would mean that standard client (possibly
guest
OS inside VM) can update its records without any OpenStack dependency,
which
is very much desirable.

The use case here is to allow the guest OS to publish it's SSH key
(which was
generated inside the VM after first boot) to prevent Man in the middle
attacks.
I'm working on a different approach for guest OS registration.  This
involves
a Nova hook/plugin:
* build_instance pre-hook to generate an OTP and call ipa host-add with the
OTP - add OTP to new host metadata - add ipa-client-registration script
to new
host cloud-init
* new instance calls script - will wait for OTP to become available in
metadata, then call ipa-client-install with OTP
* Floating IP is assigned to VM - Nova hook will call dnsrecord-add with
new IP
BTW dnsrecord-add can be omitted if standard DNS UPDATE is supported.
ipa-client-install is using DNS UPDATE today.
I already have to support the IPA JSON REST interface with kerberos
credentials to do the host add, so it is easy to support dsrecord-add.

https://github.com/richm/rdo-vm-factory/tree/master/rdo-ipa-nova

The same goes for all other sorts of DANE/DNSSEC data or service
discovery using DNS, where a guest/container running a distributed
service
can
publish it's existence in DNS.

DNS UPDATE supports GSS(API) for authentication via RFC 3007 and that is
widely supported, too.

So DNS UPDATE is my biggest wish :-)

Ok.  There was a Designate blueprint for such a feature, but I can't
find it
and neither can the Designate guys.  There is a mention of nsupdate in the
minidns blueprint, but that's about it.  The fact that Designate upstream
can't find the bp suggests that this is not a high priority for them
and will
not likely implement it on their own i.e. we would have to contribute this
feature.

If Designate had such a feature, how would this help us integrate
FreeIPA with
Designate?
It would greatly simplify integration with FreeIPA. There is a plan to
support
DNS updates as described in RFC 2136 to push updates from FreeIPA
servers to
external DNS servers, so we could use the same code to integrate with AD &
Designate at the same time.

(I'm sorry for the delay, it somehow slipped through the cracks.)

For Designate for our use cases, we want IPA to be the authoritative
source of
DNS data.
Why? In my eyes it is additional complexity for no obvious benefit. DNS is
built around assumption that there is only one authoritative source of data
and as far as I can tell all attempts to bend this assumption did not end
well.
But what about users/operators who want to integrate OpenStack with
their existing DNS deployment (e.g. IPA or AD)?  Will they allow
converting their IPA/AD DNS to be a replica of Designate?
No, they would not want to, or have no permissions to do so.
But that shouldn't be a big issue, designate will probably be made to
manage a completely unrelated namespace.

This seems to
be the obverse of most of the ways OpenStack is integrated into existing
deployments.  For example, for Keystone Identity, you don't configure
Keystone to be the authoritative source of data for identity, then
configure IPA or AD to be a replica of Keystone.  You configure Keystone
to use IPA/AD for its identity information.
Indeed.

In my eyes IPA should have ability to integrate with whatever DNS server
admin
wants to use, using standard protocols.
Does this mean the best way to support Designate will be to change IPA
DNS so that it can be a replica of Designate, and get its data via AXFR
from Designate?
No, we should probably just make it possible for IPA to talk to
designate to add the necessary records. If Designate is in use, the IPA
DNS will not be in use and turned off.
Then why use IPA at all?  Would be much simpler for the user to stand up a
PowerDNS or BIND9 which are supported out of the box.
Yes, that is basically what I'm saying :-) In my eyes IPA should integrate
with whatever DNS server you want to use, be it Designate or anything else. If
we have such integration then there is no point in doing two-way
synchronization between IPA DNS and <whatever> DNS.
What does "integration" mean in this context, if it doesn't mean
synchronization or zone transfers?
It means that the IPA framework operates directly no an external DNS
server instead of using its own.

So this is the same as the case where a customer already has DNS and wants to use it, and we tell them how to set up their DNS with the records that IPA needs?

This means we can still have automatic
changes in DNS w/o using the integrated one.

How?

There may be limitations
(like no DNSSEC available, no ability to create forward zones, no
discovery location support or similar) but at least it should be
possible to set the core names that are needed for client discovery and
similar.

Simo.

It makes little to no sense to replicate stuff out of designate if we
are not the master server.