On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 08:48:58AM +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> On 29.8.2016 07:57, Fraser Tweedale wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 10:41:37AM +0200, Jan Cholasta wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > I don't think this is how DN SANs are supposed to be handled. For example,
> > > see this bit about DN name constraints in RFC 5280 section 4.2.1.10:
> > >
> > >    Restrictions of the form directoryName MUST be applied to the subject
> > >    field in the certificate (when the certificate includes a non-empty
> > >    subject field) and to any names of type directoryName in the
> > >    subjectAltName extension.
> > >
> > > It would appear to me that DN SANs only provide additional values to the
> > > subject name of the certificate and thus should be treated the same way as
> > > the subject name.
> > >
> > > We don't impose any restrictions on subject names with regard to DN of the
> > > subject LDAP entry, so I think we should not do it for DN SANs as well.
> > > Or,
> > > alternatively, we should do it for both.
> > >
> > I disagree.  Supporting an altname containing the LDAP DN is a valid
> > use case.  There is no need to apply the same rules to Subject DN
> > and Directory Name altname
>
> Nowhere in the RFC is it stated that there is any semantic difference
> between the subject name and DN SANs, so I don't see why should we make DN
> SANs special.
>
> > (otherwise, why would the Directory Name
> > altname type even exist?).
>
> To allow multiple subject DNs.
>
> > There are other possible values but this
> > one is trivial to validate so why not?
>
> I have no issue with validation per se, I just find it very odd that the
> code would allow me to request a cert with any LDAP entry DN in subject name
> but only one specific LDAP entry DN in DN SAN.
>

> > As for the RFC excerpt, this is about the Name Constraints
> > extension.  In the unlikely case that a superior certificate has a
> > Name Constraints extension that applies to DNs, the way we construct
> > the Subject DN is probably the bigger problem ;)
>
> Yes, this particular excerpt is about name constraints, but I doubt that if
> you looked anywhere else, it would say something different about the
> relationship of subject name and DN SANs.

RFC 5280 doesn't say anything about the relationship between SDN and
DN SAN.  All it says is that if there is a name constraint, all the
names must satisfy the constraint.  A name constraint *could* imply
some "shared ancestry" relationships across all DNs on a cert, but
this is is not necessarily the case, e.g. if the name constraint
only has excludedSubtrees.