On 21.11.2016 15:25, Jan Cholasta wrote:
On 21.11.2016 15:07, Christian Heimes wrote:
On 2016-11-21 14:44, Petr Spacek wrote:
3.3 ipaplatform auto-configuration

I'm not sure if guessing platform from ID_LIKE is really a good
idea. It
might work fine for centos -> rhel, but in general we can't really
assume it will always work, as the platforms listed in ID_LIKE
might not
be similar enough to the one in ID. I would rather add an ipaplatform
subpackage for every supported platform (including CentOS) than depend
on error-prone guesswork.

Can you show me a real-world example for your statement that ID_LIKE is
error-prone?

Your proposal doesn't scale. There are tons of Debian spins with their
own ID. For example my Raspberry Pi has ID=raspbian and ID_LIKE=debian.
Do you want to maintain an exhaustive list of all Debian and Ubuntu
variants?

Can we agree that it would be much better to get rid of platform
depedency in
client libraries and be done with this philosophical debate?

+1

Yes, that would be my preferable solution, too. But it's a lot of work
and I don't have any spare time to work on a redesign of ipaplatform /
ipalib. Who is going to do it?

I'm going to look into this.

Christian