On 22.11.2016 16:59, Lukas Slebodnik wrote:
On (22/11/16 16:29), Petr Spacek wrote:
On 22.11.2016 16:27, Jan Cholasta wrote:
Hi,

On 22.11.2016 16:04, Petr Spacek wrote:
Hello,

the recent changes with regard to
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Integration_Improvements
beg a question whether we should invest into supporting client-only builds in
FreeIPA build system.

Right now, FreeIPA can be built on all architectures we care about so there is
no incentive to invest into client-only build - this applies to binary/RPM
builds.

Client-only build lowers the barrier for porting IPA to new platforms (porting
only client code is *much* easier than porting the whole thing), so I would
very much prefer if we kept it.

Understood.

Agree about portability

But upstream spec file needn't have such relicts.

I like to think about the upstream spec file as sort of a template for porting, so I can't say I agree. There is no other definitive, up-to-date source of information about what are the dependencies, how to properly build IPA for downstream packaging and what needs to be executed on package install and upgrade.

The upstream spec file is pure fedora specific.

Almost :-) The actual downstream Fedora spec file differs slightly, and the upstream spec file is actually usable on RHEL as well.

Wondering out loud: What prevents the "porter" from doing full build and then
packaging only client bits? Yes, he has to install come of the dependencies
for the build to pass but still, it is way easier than actually making server
fully functional.

The issue with this is that some of the dependencies might not had been ported as well, which would leave the porters to either do it themselves, which might not be a trivial task, or wait for someone else to do it, which might take ages.

Speaking from my own experience, when I was porting IPA client to Arch Linux [1], I had to port authconfig first. I had hard time doing it, harder than porting IPA client itself. I can't imagine how much harder would it be if I had to first port DS and Samba 4 with MIT Kerberos as well.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/freeipa-client/