On 05/23/2017 10:56 PM, Jake via FreeIPA-users wrote:
I am trying to renew the last certificate for the IPA masters (previous
email) and am coming across this issue on my original IPA master (first
server)

getcert list -d /etc/httpd/alias -n "Server-Cert"
Number of certificates and requests being tracked: 8.
Request ID '20170428162941':
        status: CA_UNREACHABLE
        ca-error: Server at https://ipa01.ipa.example.com/ipa/xml failed
request, will retry: 4001 (RPC failed at server.  nss certificate db:
user not found).
        stuck: no
        key pair storage:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB',pinfile='/etc/httpd/alias/pwdfile.txt'
        certificate:
type=NSSDB,location='/etc/httpd/alias',nickname='Server-Cert',token='NSS
Certificate DB'
        CA: IPA
        issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=IPA. EXAMPLE.COM
        subject: CN=ipa01.ipa.example.com,O=IPA.EXAMPLE.COM
        expires: 2018-07-30 13:08:58 UTC
        key usage:
digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyEncipherment,dataEncipherment
        eku: id-kp-serverAuth,id-kp-clientAuth
        pre-save command:
        post-save command: /usr/libexec/ipa/certmonger/restart_httpd
        track: yes
        auto-renew: yes

This server was 4.2.0 originally, then upgraded to 4.4.0, I
tried https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2016-February/msg00441.html
but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

If possible, can I stop tracking and regenerate this certificate?

All other masters (7 out of 8) did not have an issue renewing their
certificates.

Thanks!!

-Jake

Hi Jake,

1. can you check that /etc/httpd/alias contains the certificate used to authenticate IPA to the Certificate Server:

$ sudo certutil -L -d /etc/httpd/alias
The output should show ipaCert  u,u,u

2. Check that this cert is associated to ipara user:
Note the serial number:
$ sudo certutil -L -d /etc/httpd/alias/ -n ipaCert | grep Serial
        Serial Number: 7 (0x7)

Check the cert associated to the user ipara:
$ kinit admin
$ ldapsearch -Y GSSAPI -Q -LLL  -b uid=ipara,ou=people,o=ipaca description
dn: uid=ipara,ou=people,o=ipaca

The serial number obtained in the first step must match the second number in the description attribute. If it is not the case, it may happen because the ipaCert was renewed but not copied on your failing master. In this case, running ipa-certupdate should install the renewed ipaCert, and allow you to re-run getcert resubmit.

HTH,
Flo