Hello, we have a mixed environment with Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX systems. I
was trying to test out FreeIPA for basic authentication in this environment,
but so far nothing has worked. Currently for testing I have FreeIPA 4.6.90.pre1
installed. I tried the walkthrough for Mac OSX and kerberos worked, but I could
not get the OS login to do anything but local users. Windows desktop system
would not even see the kerberos realm so could not do anything, and Windows
domain controller when I try to add trust on FreeIPA I get an error that says
"ipa: ERROR: CIFS server communication error: code "3221225581", message "The
attempted login is invalid. This is either duet to a bad username or
authentication information." (both may be "None")". In every case I was just
following what is shown on the web site for the how to's on this. The Mac
system is running high sierra with latest patches. The windows desktop is
Windows 10 with latest patches and the windows server is Windows Server 2016, I
 used domain functional level 2016, 2008, and 2012, all did the same thing.