Well, turns out having a full /var/log partition might've had some effect here, too.

I backed up the sysrestore directory, tried again, and got slapped in the face by a "no space left on device" error. With a logfile purge, everything worked without doing surgery on the sysrestore directory.

Thanks, Rob!