Actually, I'm replying to my own post.

I think I was using some incomplete options on the certutil command
for listing the keys without realizing it.  This might be similar to
some other issues I've briefly skimmed from the past on this list.

I'll post more when I spend more time reading if I'm still having
trouble.  I do think I may end up confused about how to the fix the
actual problem once I identify it, but at least I'm making some type
of progress.  I apologize for anyone's time wasted here.