On Wed, Mar 06, 2019 at 11:24:20PM -0000, Charles Ulrich via FreeIPA-users
wrote:
> Hello, good people of FreeIPA-users,
>
> Short version:
>
> I've run into an issue where a SSH public key authentication doesn't work on
> the FreeIPA client. When I run `sss_ssh_authorizedkeys
> <fully-qualified_user>` on the client, there is a brief hang (10-15 seconds,
> maybe?) and then it returns nothing. The same command run on the FreeIPA
> server does, however, correctly return the user's public key.
>
> Long version:
>
> The server is FreeIPA 4.6.4 on CentOS 7 (all packages up to date) with a
> one-way trust to active directory. The client is the ipa-server package
> version 4.7.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. I added a user to the "Default Trust View"
> override and pasted in the public key.
>
> The AD trust and client configuration seem to be working for the most part
> since I can log into the client with my AD username and password. It's just
> SSH public key authentication that doesn't work. As mentioned above, the
> `sss_ssh_authorizedkeys` command runs successfully on the server but not on
> the client.
>
> From the client logs, it looks like the client is having trouble
> communicating with the server somehow. I don't see anything that looks like
> errors in the server logs. A sanitized version of the client logs at
> debug_level 4 are here:
> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/y3nyxeb13wZMzaQNemhCNQ The sssd.conf
> from the client is here:
> https://paste.fedoraproject.org/paste/SK3qx0EcF19ggtrmssYZnw I can provide
> more detailed logs to individuals.

In the log snippet the client runs into a timeout, the IPA server didn't
send a reply for 6s. Since you say that you can authenticate in general
on the client I guess this might only a temporary error because e.g. the
server had to refresh its own cache. But you can try to increase
ldap_search_timeout in sssd.conf, see man sssd-ldap for details.

In case you are using 'full_name_format = %1$s' in sssd.conf on the IPA
servers as well please remove it, this option is not supported on IPA
server.

bye,
Sumit