Hi,
the ipa-server is setup to: ourdomain.example  We actually use a sub domain
called: local.ourdomain.example

; <<>> DiG 9.9.4-RedHat-9.9.4-61.el7_5.1 <<>> @192.168.66.205 SRV
_ldap._tcp.local.ourdomain.example
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_ldap._tcp.local.ourdomain.example.    IN      SRV

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
local.ourdomain.example.        3600    IN      SOA
freeipa1.local.ourdomain.example. hostmaster.local.ourdomain.example.
1551582429 3600 900 1209600 3600

;; Query time: 0 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.xx.xx5#53(192.168.xx.xx5)
;; WHEN: do mrt 07 10:34:03 CET 2019
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 112

With regard to the home directories they are nfs mounted by automount service
setup in the ipa-server.
I am sure there is read acces when the old replica is offline because users can
login.
(automount key:  *   -fstype=nfs,rw,vers=3 192.168.xx.xx9:/mnt/raid/homedirs/&)
I'll check in the weekend for write permissions. It makes sence that this can
disrupt services

We use the freeipa for DNS, automount and login. I have about 20 ipa-clients
connected and 10 users
DNS resolves for the 20 ipa-clients and automount mounts homedirectories and
about 8 other nfs shares + 2 smb shares
all ipa-clients are unroled from the old replica-server and joined the new
ipa-server

The old replica had a master in domain: foreign.ourdomain.example. this master
is distroyed.

the new ipa-server has following config:

  Maximum username length: 32
  Home directory base: /users_roaming
  Default shell: /bin/bash
  Default users group: pusers
  Default e-mail domain: local.ourdomain.example
  Search time limit: 2
  Search size limit: 100
  User search fields: uid,givenname,sn,telephonenumber,ou,title
  Group search fields: cn,description
  Enable migration mode: FALSE
  Certificate Subject base: O=OURDOMAIN>EXAMPLE
  Password Expiration Notification (days): 4
  Password plugin features: AllowNThash, KDC:Disable Last Success
  SELinux user map order:
guest_u:s0$xguest_u:s0$user_u:s0$staff_u:s0-s0:c0.c1023$unconfined_u:s0-s0:c0.c1023
  Default SELinux user: unconfined_u:s0-s0:c0.c1023
  Default PAC types: MS-PAC, nfs:NONE
  IPA masters: freeipa1.local.ourdomain.example
  IPA CA servers: freeipa1.local.ourdomain.example
  IPA NTP servers: freeipa1.local.ourdomain.example
  IPA CA renewal master: freeipa1.local.ourdomain.example
  IPA master capable of PKINIT: freeipa1.local.ourdomain.example