Hello all,

So, for anyone following this thread, I've been able to make some
progress but not enough to consider the configuration production
ready.

After watching sssd logs ([domain] debug_level = 10, [sssd]
debug_level = 10, and [nss] debug_level = 10) on both the client and
server, I am able to reduce by ~50% the time required and failures of
user look-ups via `getent passwd` and `id` by configuring the [nss]
option 'entry_negative_timeout = 1'.

No matter what other options are configured on the client via sssd,
the first look-up always fails.  The server logs do not indicate that
the client checked the server's sssd cache on the first look-up.  Only
after a negative entry has been introduced and then purged will a
"true" client look-up receive a result.  I cannot understand why this
does not happen on the IPA servers with a default sssd configuration,
but happens continually on a client's generated sssd configuration via
the IPA installer.  Even after removing the additional trusted domains
and their ID ranges, the behaviour remains.

In order to rule out the hardware on the client and an older sssd
version (1.15.2), I installed on new hardware and with the latest sssd
version offered via our satellite server (1.16.2), and the behavior
was the same.

Why is the first user lookup-up on the native IPA client failing to
retrieve the entry that is properly cached on the IPA server?

Thanks,
John DeSantis