Well, in that scenario site-to-site VPNs should not be too terrible (AWS provides one, for instance).

I think that certainly having a default install which is "safe" to expose to the Internet would be a very nice feature. However, I realize that has its cost and maybe its drawbacks, so of course I'm not sure if it's the best use of development time for the project.

I can say that it would be one of the top items in my features wishlist for FreeIPA*, but then again I'm neither a typical, nor paying, nor particularly smart customer, so I'm just talking here and I don't think I should be listened much. I think VPNs also have a cost, so not having to setup them up and maintain them is a huge plus in my book.

Cheers,

Álex

* the other two would be very low effort monitoring (e.g. a built-in health check URL or command line tool included in the default install) and low effort full backup/restore + recovery.