Well, the specific products we need to talk to FreeIPA support LDAPS
(implicit SSL via port 636, rather than explicit via STARTTLS on port 389 -
in fact at least some only support implicit), 389DS does support LDAPS
(even if it is not a FreeIPA sanctioned mode), so as the saying goes if
it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid. :)

For server sign-on and so forth, SSSD and so on will do what they do
normally - we aren't mangling any of the pre-defined DNS or other FreeIPA
magic. This is just to provide a highly available and secure LDAP service
for everything else that can't use the multiple SRV records or other means
of assigning / detecting multiple LDAP servers (i.e. Jira, Confluence,
Bitbucket ... )