lejeczek via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> On 28/08/2019 15:15, Markus Larsson via FreeIPA-users wrote:
>> I might be wrong here but it sure looks like the cert is being
>> rejected because the name on service doesn't match the cert.
>> I'm not at a place where I could check but it looks like that to me.
>>
>> BR
>> Markus
>>

>> On 28 August 2019 16:11:17 CEST, lejeczek via FreeIPA-users
>> <freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:
>>
>>     hi guys
>>
>>     Would a subdomain on a separate subnet (from which nodes do not have
>>     access to IPA's IPs) to which IPA is connect via "secondary" ifaces,
>>     have clients successfully install and connect?
>>
>>     I've crafted a sub domain/zone with, I think, all the records required
>>     and those point to IPAs "secondary" IPs and when I install clients they
>>     fail:

>>     Do you want to download the CA cert from
>>     http://ipa2.subdomain.private.freeipa/ipa/config/ca.crt?
>>     (this is INSECURE) [no]: yes
>>     Downloading the CA certificate via HTTP, this is INSECURE
>>     Successfully retrieved CA cert
>>     Joining realm failed: libcurl failed to execute the HTTP POST
>>     transaction, explaining:  Problem with the SSL CA cert (path? access
>>     rights?)
>>
>>     Installation failed. Rolling back changes.
>>
>>     Still the same client:
>>
>>     $ curl http://ipa2.subdomain.private.freeipa/ipa/config/ca.crt
>>     <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
>>     <title>301 Moved Permanently</title>
>>     </head><body>
>>     <h1>Moved Permanently</h1>
>>     href="http://ipa2.private.freeipa/ipa/config/ca.crt";>here</a>.</p>
>>
>>     That host in returned URL above is where IPA top domain lives, but nodes
>>     on the subnet cannot access there.
>>
>>     This fails by design and what I'm trying will not work? Or it's doable
>>     and I'm only missing something?
>>
>>     If that is how IPA currently works(or rather doesn't) then is this
>>     something that may get included/fixed in the future?
>>
>>     many thanks, L>
>>

> Would it mean that each new subzone needs to have a bunch of services(on
> top of DNS) created for stuff as basic as nodes/clients want to use/join
> that subzone?
>
> My case may be bit different from a regular - IPA top level domain =>
> subdomain but only with one simple fact that subdomain is on the subnet
> which has no connection to IPA top level domain subnet (other than IPA
> servers are connected to both subnets directly) - but would this one
> thing be such a big impediment?
>
> I thought that what I'm doing is not that unusual and many have done it
> before and that IPA is prepared for this scenario.
>
> p.s. I'm on Centos' 4.6.4 version.

You might search the archive for answers, IIRC others have tried this in
the past. What you are doing is multi-homing. Remember that IPA is
name-sensitive. Each NIC has its own name but a host can have only one.

Don't confuse this with subnets, zones or anything else. From the IPA
perspective you are trying to have one host have multiple names (which
isn't in itself that unusual).

You could experiment with adding SAN for the certs and Kerberos
principal aliases, but this isn't really a configuration that the IPA
team tests.

rob