I actually manually checked the system wide crt files on each
distribution I'm using, Ubuntu, CentOS and RHEL6/7. In all cases my
/etc/ipa/ca.crt did appear to be in the each of their respective *.crt
files. That indicates to me that there isn't any problem with the
ipa-install-client on any of the distributions like I originally
thought. Rob it does look like Ubuntu is adding it to the
/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt with the ipa-install-client as I
didn't do it manually on any of my systems, so it does appear they are
doing it somehow.

These are the locations I checked.

"/etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt",                //
Debian/Ubuntu/Gentoo etc.
"/etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt",                  // Fedora/RHEL 6
"/etc/pki/ca-trust/extracted/pem/tls-ca-bundle.pem", // CentOS/RHEL 7

What appears to be the problem is (unless I'm mistaken) Firefox nor
Chrome are using the system wide cert locations apparently and only
using their own cert store. At least according to this article:
https://thomas-leister.de/en/how-to-import-ca-root-certificate/

It kind of is backed up by this article on the Mozilla page.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/setting-certificate-authorities-firefox

So based off of this information I'm going to have to manually add the
root certificates to each Chrome and Firefox cert store on the client
machines, which is a bummer.

Sorry for the noise.