"White, Daniel E. (GSFC-770.0)[NICS] via FreeIPA-users"
<freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> writes:

> SSSD does not seem to be the source of the glitch.  The sssd_nss.log says
> that it successfully finds the user.
>
> All the error in /var/log/auth.log contain "pam_unix", so I tried
> adding "debug" to the end of every instance of "pam_unix/pam_unix.so"
> in /etc/pam.d, but it told me nothing new.
>
> Any other suggestions ?

Local users are authenticated by pam_unix, IPA users with pam_sss.
I do run a custom PAM configuration, because older IPA clients needed
that.

I dropped a special file in /usr/share/pam-configs and used that, but
that doesn't seem to be needed any longer.

So, pam_unix shouldn't be your problem when pam_sss is called also.
Rob's troubleshooting link should help you along.

Jochen

--
This space is intentionally left blank.