On 7/16/20 3:00 PM, Lorenz Braun via FreeIPA-users wrote:
Hi Flo,

thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it a lot!

On 16.07.20 14:32, Florence Blanc-Renaud wrote:
Hi,
this type of failure can happen when the certificates expire. You can check if that's the case using "getcert list" and look at the "status:" values that should be MONITORING and the "expires:" date.

Although the manual repair procedure can be quite long, it's possible to fix this type of issue. See [1] for instructions.
I was thinking something similar. I tried
```
[root@ipa01 ~]# ipa-cacert-manage renew
Renewing CA certificate, please wait
Error resubmitting certmonger request '20200716071025', please check the request manually
The ipa-cacert-manage command failed.
```

Hi,
this command is used to renew IPA CA certificate and not applicable to the current situation. IPA CA has ~20 years validity and this cert is unlikely to be expired.

```
[root@ipa01 ~]# getcert list
Number of certificates and requests being tracked: 9.
[...]
Request ID '20200716071025':
         status: CA_UNREACHABLE
This is expected in your case as pki is down, and won't be able to manage the certificate renewal request.

         ca-error: Internal error
         stuck: no
        key pair storage: type=NSSDB,location='/etc/pki/pki-tomcat/alias',nickname='caSigningCert cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB',pin set         certificate: type=NSSDB,location='/etc/pki/pki-tomcat/alias',nickname='caSigningCert cert-pki-ca',token='NSS Certificate DB'
         CA: dogtag-ipa-ca-renew-agent
         issuer: CN=Certificate Authority,O=EXAMPLE.COM
         subject: CN=Certificate Authority,O=EXAMPLE.COM
         expires: 2040-07-16 07:08:27 UTC
         key usage: digitalSignature,nonRepudiation,keyCertSign,cRLSign
         pre-save command: /usr/libexec/ipa/certmonger/stop_pkicad
        post-save command: /usr/libexec/ipa/certmonger/renew_ca_cert "caSigningCert cert-pki-ca"
         track: yes
         auto-renew: yes
[...]
```

The other one are all MONITORING and expire at 2022. Since i tried to force a new cert maybe this is still okay and the problem lies somewhere else?

Then the problem is different. Since the new certs will expire 2022 (in 2 years), I suspect that they were renewed recently but the renewal failed in the middle.

You can refer to [1] in order to ensure that this is the root cause and fix the current situation.

HTH,
flo

[1] https://floblanc.wordpress.com/2017/09/11/troubleshooting-freeipa-pki-tomcatd-fails-to-start/

Unfortunately i can't access [1] since we do not have a subscription. I am considering getting one, however its not my decision alone.
Some Clients could sometimes not get kerberos tickets. I couldn't quite figure out why.

I used 'ipa-backup --data' in hopes of restoring it on a fresh OS with everything working again. Had to upgrade to IPA 4.6.6. It worked with
Can you provide the exact steps that you ran? Performing a data-only backup does not save the configuration files and I would like to check how the new server was setup.
Sure. Backup was done with `ipa-backup --data --online`

The new server was a fresh CentOS install. Here the steps i did:
```
yum update -y
# reboot

yum install ipa-server -y
ipa-server-install  \
   --ds-password {{ipa_dm_pw}} \
   --admin-password {{ipa_admin_pw}} \
   --realm {{ceg_realm}} \
   --hostname {{inventory_hostname}}.{{ceg_domain}} \
   --domain {{ceg_domain}} \
   --mkhomedir \
   --unattended

ipa-restore --data --backend=userRoot
systemctl stop sssd
find /var/lib/sss/ ! -type d | xargs rm -f
systemctl start sssd
# reboot
```

I should mention that the `ipa ...` commands do not work on the server a have also tried on of the clients (unmodified) but it does not accept the SSL cert (probably because it is different now).

Best Regards
Lorenz