Dominik Vogt via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> For our setup on RHEL8.1, the password hashing algorithm needs to
> be changed:
>
>  1. Run ipa-server-install with -a and -p options.
>  2. Use ldapmodify to change passwordStorageScheme.
>
> Now, the "admin" user's password needs to be rehashed with the new
> algorithm.  What is the proper procedure to do this?

You can pass in an ldif to update the params during installation. You
can try that.

# ipa-server-install --dirsrv-config-file params.ldif

with params.ldif:
~~~
dn: cn=config
changetype: modify
replace: someattribute
someattribute: somevalue

So you won't need to re-hash the password at all.

> Constraints:
>
>  - Rehashing needs to be done from Ansible running shell commands
>    or with ansible-freeipa.  Using the GUI is no topion.
>
>  - The default server installation has some restrictions:
>
>    a) When changing the password the normal way, it is not updated
>       in the database if it doesn't change.

I don't know what this means.

>    b) The minimum password lifetime prevents that the password is
>       changed twice quickly.

Yeah, no working around that.