Platform is a fully-updated CentOS 7 instance. I have installed
ipa-server-4.6.8-5.el7.centos.9.x86_64 and all the dependent packages.

The RedHat documentation tells you to use a script that sets all passwords to
the same fixed string, however, I would like to use the hashed passwords from
my NIS instance. The NIS server passwrod policy is set to "sha512".

I have set:
 ipa config-mod --enable-migration=true

It appears that the RedHat build does not allow encrypted passwords with "ipa
user-mod", but I am trying to set the password with "ipa user-add". However,
whenever I do this, attempting to test the login results in:
kinit: Pre-authentication failed: Invalid argument while getting initial
credentials

 ipa user-add  blahblah --first=NIS --last=USER --setattr
'userpassword={sha512}$6$WZktVggI$Rsmo.M31dUfgalp5e39a47FwjfdM5UA9UT1dwvKjrLJZVjh7SxG0g2SuDYOZmFM9mdGeTIz8KZpZukKouNQR1/'
 --uid=4444 --gid=444 --gecos='Blah' --homedir=/home/blah --shell=/bin/bash
---------------------
Added user "blahblah"
---------------------
  User login: blahblah
  First name: NIS
  Last name: USER
  Full name: NIS USER
  Display name: NIS USER
  Initials: NU
  Home directory: /home/blah
  GECOS: Blah
  Login shell: /bin/bash
  Principal name: blahb...@sj.bps
  Principal alias: blahb...@sj.bps
  Email address: blahb...@sj.bps
  UID: 4444
  GID: 444
  Password: True
  Member of groups: ipausers
  Kerberos keys available: False
[root@ipa1 ~]# kinit blahblah
kinit: Pre-authentication failed: Invalid argument while getting initial
credentials

It doesn't seem to matter what I specify for "{crypt}": md5 or sha512, I get
the same message.