Hi all,

just wanted to let ppl know that running pi-hole in a rootless container
without any tricks works fine.
As rafael mentioned, this is only usefull for really small environments.

I tweaked the docker start script a bit so it would run with podman as a
rootless container using an ordinary user (see attachment)
Then configured the global forwarder to the ip of the ipa server with the
port 6053.
That's was it, now my ipa-server forwards all the queries to the local
rootless pi-hole container.

Rob

Op do 10 feb. 2022 om 09:50 schreef Rob Verduijn <rob.verdu...@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> You are right, it is only usefull for a very small environment.
> It is for home, at work I really don't care about adding one (or more)
> systems to the environment. (ansible plays will keep them up2date and
> configured properly)
>
> But I think I have figured it out.
> It is possible to specify a global forwarder with an alternative port,
> hence I could configure a container on the ipa server system listening on a
> different port  and add that one as a forwarder.
> If it starts complaining about the ip being its own I will use cni to
> assign a different external ip to that container.
>
> I will test this in the next few days.
>
> Rob
>

> Op wo 9 feb. 2022 om 22:39 schreef Rafael Jeffman <rjeff...@redhat.com>:
>
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 9, 2022 at 9:32 AM Rob Verduijn via FreeIPA-users <
>> freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to reduce the number of systems in my network.
>>> Currently if I want to use a pi-hole in combination with freeipa one of
>>> them is going to use the other as a forwarder.
>>>
>>> And without some firewall/router port redirection magic (also hopelessly
>>> complicating things) this is not going to run on one system.
>>>
>>> Did anybody manage to integrate pi-hole into freeipa as a plugin or some
>>> other nifty solution making it possible to run it all on one system ?
>>>

>> This doesn't seem likely to be done soon, or ever, even if it is
>> something I'd personally have use for.
>>
>> You could have a single pi-hole in your network, but you would
>> like to have at least two IPA servers, a master and a replica.
>>
>> For very small setups, it would be a nice exercise, but apart
>> from that I don't see much use in having both in the system
>> (and sharing scarce resources).
>>
>> Rafael
>>

>> Rob

>>> Do not reply to spam on the list, report it:
>>> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure
>>>

>> --
>> Rafael Guterres Jeffman
>> Senior Software Engineer
>> FreeIPA - Red Hat

#!/bin/bash

# https://github.com/pi-hole/docker-pi-hole/blob/master/README.md

PIHOLE_BASE="${PIHOLE_BASE:-$(pwd)}"
[[ -d "$PIHOLE_BASE" ]] || mkdir -p "$PIHOLE_BASE" || { echo "Couldn't create
storage directory: $PIHOLE_BASE"; exit 1; }
[[ -d "$PIHOLE_BASE/etc-pihole" ]] || mkdir -p "$PIHOLE_BASE/etc-pihole" || {
echo "Couldn't create storage directory: $PIHOLE_BASE/etc-pihole"; exit 1; }
[[ -d "$PIHOLE_BASE/etc-dnsmasq.d" ]] || mkdir -p "$PIHOLE_BASE/etc-dnsmasq.d"
|| { echo "Couldn't create storage directory: $PIHOLE_BASE/etc-dnsmasq.d"; exit
1; }

# Note: ServerIP should be replaced with your external ip.
docker run -d \
    --name pihole \
    -p 6053:53/tcp -p 6053:53/udp \
    -p 6080:80 \
    -p 6443:443 \
    -e TZ="Europe/Amsterdam" \
    -v "${PIHOLE_BASE}/etc-pihole:/etc/pihole:U,z" \
    -v "${PIHOLE_BASE}/etc-dnsmasq.d:/etc/dnsmasq.d:U,z" \
    --dns=127.0.0.1 --dns=1.1.1.1 \
    --restart=unless-stopped \
    --hostname pi.hole \
    -e VIRTUAL_HOST="pi.hole" \