Hi,

On Thu, Sep 1, 2022 at 4:59 PM Master Blaster via FreeIPA-users <
freeipa-users@lists.fedorahosted.org> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> We are having intermittent login issues with our SSSD/IPA clients using
> Identity Manager in a read-only cross-forest trust configuration.
>
> The SSSD/IPA servers themselves don't seem to be having this issue, just
> the SSSD/IPA clients using the IDM/IPA servers as their identity provider.
>
> In addition, the problem only affects AD accounts, not native IDM accounts.
>
> The issue manifests itself as either failed logins or the 'id' command
> returning user unknown.
>
> All of our IDM servers are RHEL 8.  Clients are various mixes of RHEL 7
> and RHEL 8, all exhibiting the same issue.
>
> We have a P2 open with Red Hat, and it feels like they are having a
> problem pinpointing the issue.
>
> Red Hat support seems to be indicating our AD environment is to blame, at
> least partially, as most our of AD groups don't have GIDs.  We have 80K +
> users in our AD  (not all of them assigned a Unix UID in AD as most of them
> have no need to log in to Unix).  However, the users that are logging in
> via SSSD obviously have UIDs and many groups attached to them, most of
> which may not have Possix GIDs as many of those groups will never need to
> touch Unix. (ie, email groups, Windows only access groups, etc, etc, etc)

If the trust is established with a ipa-ad-trust-posix range type, any AD
user who wants to login on IdM side needs to have a uid, and all his groups
also need to have a gid. If it's not possible to add these attributes on AD
side, you can also create idoverride on IdM and override the uid or the
gid. Please see
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/managing_idm_users_groups_hosts_and_access_control_rules/assembly_using-id-views-for-active-directory-users_managing-users-groups-hosts

flo