Leo O via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> Hello Guys,
>
> I'm would like to use custom ssl certificates for http and ldap, I saw the
> following:
> https://www.freeipa.org/page/Using_3rd_part_certificates_for_HTTP/LDAP
>
> But I wonder how would this be done when using freeipa in a docker/podman
> container. I mean the container is started with "--read-only" flag. So it's
> not clear to me what the correct approach here would be. I hope it's not that
> you have to re-build an own image with the ssl certificates every time?
>
> Background Info: I'm using acme.sh in a VM, which creates my wildcard
> letsencrypt certificates and puts them on an nfs share. Freeipa should simply
> use that certificates for http and ldap and that's it. No renewing as this is
> done by the acme.sh VM itself.

It isn't that simple. ipa-server-certinstall exists for a reason.

The Apache cert is in PEM files so that should be fairly straightforward
to replace, but the 389 certificate needs to be imported into its NSS
database. Since it's from PEM files you'd need to create a PKCS#12 file
to import them. If you are re-using your key then this is a one-time
operation and the new cert can be added to the NSS database using
certutil. It obviously requires write access.

There is also the matter of the certificate chain. You can do this in
advance of adding the LE certs by importing the chain using
ipa-cacert-manage and running ipa-certupdate. You'll miss out on
ipa-server-certinstall checking that the chain was actually imported
properly though, along with validation of the certificates themselves.

rob