On Wed, May 03, 2023 at 05:08:20PM -0400, Rob Crittenden via FreeIPA-users
wrote:
> Djerk Geurts via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> > Aware that ACME support is still relatively new. I'm looking at how the
> > challenge works for an ACME client. DNS-01 seems superfluous as FreeIPA
> > manages the DNS itself and HTTP-01 is often not an option, for example when
> > using ACME on vSphere.
>
> Can you expand on why you think that because IPA can manage DNS then
> that the DNS-01 challenge is superfluous?
>
> > If the DNS-01 verification is indeed fully local to a FreeIPA server with
> > integrated DNS and CA then can't any machine that can reach the FreeIPA
> > server request an internal certificate anonymously? Surely I'm missing
> > something here?
>
> Not all IPA users can create DNS records. One needs to be able to create
> the TXT entry for the challenge to succeed.

...which fits in the general security model for the dns-01
challenge: anyone with authorization to add arbitrary TXT records to
a DNS zone can acquire certificates for [sub]domains in that zone.

Here's an example of using the dns-01 challenge with FreeIPA:
https://frasertweedale.github.io/blog-redhat/posts/2020-05-13-ipa-acme-dns.html#certbot-and-freeipa-dns

Cheers,
Fraser