After several years of not-well-understood management of our
freeipa-cluster, it is finally in a sad enough state to get business
priority on planning/implementing a migration. The environment is el7 for
both old and new. I understand that the there is a MoM, so my plan was
basically this:

1. Add a replica.
2. transfer whatever MoM-specific bits exist to the new replica (do not
know what all of those are)
3 start removing all old replicas (do I need to have the new one
replicating with at least one other new host before removing all old
replicas?)
4. Lather, rinse, repeat until all old servers are no longer replicating
with new servers and can be terminated.

This will also be a practice run at an as-yet unplanned migration to the
el8 or el9 stack.

The MoM questions arose because we lost a MoM years ago before we even knew
the first master was special and now we have two uid ranges. I'd like to
see if we can move that back to a single range (whether it fully contains
the 2, I don't care as long as users do not have to be migrated).

Beyond that, I'd like some opinion on the best topology. Back in the day,
it was said that too many replicas was problematic for the load on the
servers. We are trying to avoid that while increasing responsiveness to the
7000+ hosts (spread across 3 regions). Often, we get kerberos timeouts
registering new hosts with ipa-client-install. Or get sssd timing out after
the fact. So any help on topo layout would be _greatly_ appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!