Thank you for the reply.

What is the proper way to approach setting up a fresh IPA environment, trying
to following best practices of having IPA and AD in separate subdomains?

I'm a bit confused on how to approach, if I'd like to be able to serve apex
domain from IPA.

According to best practice documentation, IPA and AD should be in separate
subdomains.  For instance, ipaserver.ipa.example.com and
adserver.ad.example.com.  This would instigate the original apex domain issue.

Sorry for any level of ignorance here.  Trying my best to plan out a future
proof deployment.

Thankyou.