Thank you for the assistance. I tried running the oddjob without specifying a
NetBIOS name, and it gave a return code of 1, no output, and didn't seem to do
anything. Then I saw your NetBIOS comment.

First I checked to see if we already had a NetBIOS name configured, and I
didn't find anything (I used ldapsearch because the ipa command was still not
working):
ldapsearch -H ldap://ipa01.semi.example.net:389/ -x -D "cn=Directory Manager"
-W '(ipaNTFlatName=*)'
ldapsearch -H ldap://ipa01.semi.example.net:389/ -x -D "cn=Directory Manager"
-W '(objectClass=ipaNTTrustedDomain)'
ldapsearch -H ldap://ipa01.semi.example.net:389/ -x -D "cn=Directory Manager"
-W '(objectclass=ipaNTDomainAttrs)'

So I tried the oddjob with the NetBIOS name option, formatted as you
recommended:
/usr/libexec/ipa/oddjob/org.freeipa.server.config-enable-sid --netbios-name
SEMI --add-sids

This still had no output, but it did do good things. I can now find the NetBIOS
name using ldapsearch. Many users and groups now have the
ipaNTSecurityIdentifier attribute:
ldapsearch -H ldap://ipa01.semi.example.net:389/ -x -D "cn=Directory Manager"
-W '(ipaNTSecurityIdentifier=*)'

However, some users were skipped, like mine. The admin user got the
ipaNTSecurityIdentifier attribute, so I tried running the ipa command as that
user, hoping to modify the skipped users:

[r...@ipa01.semi.example.net ~]
 # kinit admin
Password for ad...@semi.example.net:
[r...@ipa01.semi.example.net ~]
 # ipa config-mod --enable-sid --add-sids
  Maximum username length: 32
  Maximum hostname length: 64
  Home directory base: /home
  Default shell: /bin/bash
  Default users group: ipausers
  Default e-mail domain: semi.example.net
  Search time limit: 2
  Search size limit: 500
  User search fields: uid,givenname,sn,telephonenumber,ou,title
  Group search fields: cn,description
  Enable migration mode: False
  Certificate Subject base: O=SEMI.EXAMPLE.NET
  Password Expiration Notification (days): 4
  Password plugin features: AllowNThash, KDC:Disable Last Success
  SELinux user map order:
guest_u:s0$xguest_u:s0$user_u:s0$staff_u:s0-s0:c0.c1023$sysadm_u:s0-s0:c0.c1023$unconfined_u:s0-s0:c0.c1023
  Default SELinux user: unconfined_u:s0-s0:c0.c1023
  Default PAC types: MS-PAC, nfs:NONE
  IPA masters: ipa01.semi.example.net, ipa02.semi.example.net
  IPA master capable of PKINIT: ipa01.semi.example.net, ipa02.semi.example.net
  IPA CA servers: ipa01.semi.example.net, ipa02.semi.example.net
  IPA CA renewal master: ipa02.semi.example.net

The skipped users still have no ipaNTSecurityIdentifier. But at least I can run
ipa commands now.

I've tried looking for patterns in which users were skipped. It's not all users
in the admins group. Maybe it's older users, who I think were migrated from a
previous FreeIPA version 3 cluster which crashed and burned years ago? I'm
going to keep looking for some pattern in which users did not get the
ipaNTSecurityIdentifier, but if you have any ideas, please let me know.