Hello,

beginning of March I have received support running Samba on an IdM domain
member from Alexander. Back then my problem was what Alexander pinpoints in his
text https://vda.li/en/posts/2019/03/24/Kerberos-host-to-realm-translation/
under "Mixed realm deployments” where the Linux machine running Samba was in
the wrong DNS zone.

After having fixed this things are running fine.

Now it came as it already was obvious back then and what is well noted already
in the RedHat Docs
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-en/red_hat_enterprise_linux/9/html/using_external_red_hat_utilities_with_identity_management/setting-up-samba-on-an-idm-domain-member_using-external-red-hat-utilities-with-idm
 where is stated “AD users logged into a Windows machine can not access Samba
shares hosted on an IdM domain member”.

So the customer has now stumbled exactly over this and I just wanted to confirm
that my understanding of this section in the docs is correct and that there’s
no way to ensure that an AD user on a Windows machine can access the shares on
the Samba machine joined to IdM.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Thomas