On 06/14/2011 04:33 PM, Steven Jones wrote:
Hi,

That's excellent....it wont be me but our IdM developers...who will want to
look, since its Oracle IdM I suspect Java type stuff but im clueless on
programming......I can hand this to them when they ask.

JSON is much friendlier, and it is what the webUI uses:

I do it all the time.  Here's my write up.

http://adam.younglogic.com/2010/07/talking-to-freeipa-json-web-api-via-curl/
thanks

regards
From: freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com [freeipa-users-boun...@redhat.com] on
behalf of Stephen Gallagher [sgall...@redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 14 June 2011 11:48 p.m.
To: freeipa-users@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] extracting info and injecting info

On Tue, 2011-06-14 at 04:18 +0000, Steven Jones wrote:
At a high level, I just need an idea how this will/could work....

We have a centralised provisioning system that (eventually) we need to
talk to IPA.   So the sort of things I need to extract are the
available user groups and hosts and that then would be displayed in the
IdM system. At that point  the user admin would create the user and
select the groups and hosts the user can interact with...how does the
external program query IPA? langauge? etc ? and then inject user info?
An external program can use the XLM-RPC interface to perform IPA queries
and updates. This is what the 'ipa' command-line tool does behind the
scenes.

It's not very readable, but you can take a look at
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=freeipa.git;a=blob_plain;f=API.txt;hb=HEAD
to see the API specification.

There's a python API included with FreeIPA as well. See
http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=freeipa.git;a=blob;f=doc/examples/python-api.py;h=60578e805fb5f2b440ba204c5adbac62e8415c2b;hb=HEAD
for an example of how to start using this API.