On Wed, 2011-11-09 at 14:23 -0500, Boris Epstein wrote:
So what OS would not be too old to run FreeIPA on? Would we be talking CentOS 6?

Boris.
Well, RHEL 6.2 (due out before the end of the year) will include a
fully-supported version of FreeIPA as "Red Hat Identity Management".
Presumably, whenever CentOS 6.2 is released, it will also carry this
package.

It's likely to be possible to get it to run on CentOS 6.0, but it will
require some elbow grease. I also agree with the earlier comments that
512MB is not enough to run the OS + FreeIPA.

If you are looking for a means to evaluate it, look at a really stripped down Fedora 15 Install.

People have also had better success with Scientific Linux for RHEL6 parity than they have had with Centos6, but no guarantees there: both have been significantly behind the RHEL 6 efforts.