On Thu, 28 Jun 2012, sysad...@noboost.org wrote:
Hi All,

Is there a weird restriction to UID 999 in ipa, as IPA keeps changing
the UID when I add a user with that number? (I've already checked the
UID isn't in use)
We use 999 as a marker for DNA plugin. UID/GID 999 is replaced by
an allocated one with the help of the 389-ds plugin
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNA_Plugin
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Deployment_Guide/Defining_Dynamic_Atrribute_Values.html#about-dunamically-assigning-attribute-values

The documentation mentions that the magic value can be a word ("magic"), or it doesn't have to exist at all (it's added for objectClass:posixAccount entries). Is there a reason IPA is using 999 here?

If there is, the command should fail instead of silently assigning a different number than asked for. I'll file a bug for this.

[root@sysvm-ipa ~]# ipa user-add administrator --uid=999 --gidnumber=132
--first=administrator --last=administrator
--------------------------
Added user "administrator"
--------------------------
 User login: administrator
 First name: administrator
 Last name: administrator
 Full name: administrator administrator
 Display name: administrator administrator
 Initials: aa
 Home directory: /home/administrator
 GECOS field: administrator administrator
 Login shell: /bin/bash
 Kerberos principal: administra...@example.com
 UID: 721000062
 GID: 132