Thanks for taking time to find a solution.

1. Location of log files is /var/log/sssd , I just didn`t know that each section of sssd.conf file produced its own log file:

/var/log/sssd/sssd_<your.domain>.log
/var/log/sssd/sssd_nss.log

2. For the client side, here again the list of snapshots taken from my FreeBSD VM when I installed necessary ports, maybe these snapshots will provide some additional info on sssd behavior:

clean_install
starting_sssd_install
krb5_choice_added_LDAP
openldap24-sasl-client_choice_added_FETCH_GSSAPI
cyrus-sasl2_choice_defaults
bind_choice_added_GSSAPI_MIT
sssd_installation_finished
sudo_installed_with_INSULTS_LDAP_SSSD
cyrus-sasl2-gssapi_choice_added_MIT
all_ports_installed_directories_created
all_configs_applied_sssd_started

3. For the server side, one thing that I had to do differently when adding the client to the server, is I used the "--force" option, as the server complained about the host not having a DNS A record (I don`t run DNS server on IPA server).