On 01/16/2015 09:14 AM, Ludwig Krispenz wrote:

On 01/16/2015 08:43 AM, Martin Kosek wrote:
On 01/15/2015 06:31 PM, Quayle, Bill wrote:
I am migrating an openLDAP tree into ipa, and when I run ipa migrate-ds, the
migration aborts after roughly 36 seconds with:

ipa: ERROR: cannot connect to 'ldap://10.x.x.x:389’:

It has transferred 9762 records, but seems to hit a timeout that causes it
to stop.

I’ve run it in debug mode, which only provides this:

ipa: DEBUG: Starting external process

ipa: DEBUG: args=keyctl pupdate 774698354

ipa: DEBUG: Process finished, return code=0

ipa: DEBUG: stdout=

ipa: DEBUG: stderr=

ipa: DEBUG: Caught fault 907 from server
https://foo.example.com/ipa/session/xml: cannot connect to
'ldap://10.x.x.x:389':

ipa: DEBUG: Destroyed connection context.xmlclient

ipa: ERROR: cannot connect to 'ldap://10.x.x.x:389':

Initially, it had transferred 2000 records and stopped, until I set
nsslapd-sizelimit in cn=config:

nsslapd-sizelimit: 20000

I then re-ran the migration a dozen times, each time it would transfer more
records, but would always time out at around the 36 second mark.  Now that I’m
at 9762 records, it seems to have reached a peak.

I suspect this is another tunable, but haven’t been able to find it, any
document that mentions it, or anyone else hitting this issue.

RHEL 7.0 server

idM ipa-server-3.3.3-28

source is RHEL 6.5 running openldap-2.4.23-34

command used to migrate:

ipa migrate-ds --continue --bind-dn="uid=me,ou=people,ou=foo,dc=example,dc=com"
--base-dn="ou=foo,dc=example,dc=com" ldap://10.x.x.x:389

*Cheers,*

*-Bill*

Ludwig, do you know? I am just thinking it may be also caused by some form of
timelimit, as mentioned in

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/8.2/html/Administration_Guide/User_Account_Management-Setting_Resource_Limits_Based_on_the_Bind_DN.html

(those apply both for bind DNs and global cn=config). Maybe nsslapd-timelimit
could be increased? Although I saw the default is 3600, I assume it means 1
hour, i.e. not being the root cause.
we need the access and error logs from DS, if it is a DS limit it should be
seen in the err code.

+1

Could it be that migrate-ds has it's own limit waiting for a repsponse from DS ?

The search itself in migrate-ds is limit-less:

            try:
                entries, truncated = ds_ldap.find_entries(
                    search_filter, ['*'], search_bases[ldap_obj_name],
                    ds_ldap.SCOPE_ONELEVEL,
                    time_limit=0, size_limit=-1,
search_refs=True # migrated DS may contain search references
                )
             except...

Bill, I am wondering, could you add debug=True to /etc/ipa/default.conf on your server, reload the httpd process and re-run the migration? It should print additional debugging information that may help us.

Martin