"I have been informed that all computer users on our campus must now
authenticate off of the University's Active Directory server, including all
Linux machines."

dictated by a clueless Windows ***** no doubt, ***sigh***  Here we are keeping
both separate as AD is so bad security wise, but want some low risk trusts for
certain groups of machines (common desktops).

If the expectation is its directly off the AD then you dont need IPA at all.
However without an expensive commercial addon per Linux server/desktop you wont
be able to do much management and control.   this has security implications, if
you had say a finance or HR server without these commercial tools you may find
any AD user could get on them, not what you would want.

So you have 2 options in keeping IPA,

a) trusts and you should be able keep your users.

b) winsync and passync and all the AD users are synced over to IPA.  Existing
users stay as is, the ones in AD but not in IPA get pulled over to IPA.

***maybe***

c) You might be able to do both winsync and trusts at the same time then that
is simpler provisioning. ie a user gets created in AD and automatically gets
created in IPA ready for you to put in the user group you want.

I'd like to do c) which I am looking at at present, if I ever get IPA on
RHEL6.6 upgraded to RHEL7.1!

regards

Steven J