Sumit,

Thank you so much for your assistance and eyeballs on the massive logset. I've repeatedly found the level of support on this list to be fantastic. Some day I'll have enough hands-on experience to repay in kind ...

We do actually use a different domain for the clients:

Our clients are "company-aws.org" while being managed by "company-idm.org" and talking to AD forests and many child domains in "company.org".

It's a fairly hairy setup driven mostly by "above my pay grade" distrust of IaaS cloud environments like AWS VPCs combined with existing use of Kerberos that we don't want to break. Hence putting IDM/IPA in a separate domain and realm altogether.

I actually DID see the "UPN used in the request .. differ" error messages all over the place.

I will try the workaround linked to below and report back.

Follow-up on the 4.4 release:

For people using CentOS/RHEL 7.x is it recommended to use IPA 4.4 code in production? Our needs are pretty simple once you get beyond the complex AD environment - we just need simple SSH password authentication and a bit of RBAC feature for a small to midsize cloud footprint. I'm guessing that running 4.4 if we have passwords working would not be all that risky for us. It really does seem like a large amount of recent IPA development has focused on AD integration so I'm actually fairly interested and motivated to step up from our 4.2 version.

Regards,
Chris

Sumit Bose wrote:

Both authentications where successful against the backend. For the logs
it looks like you use an alternative domain suffix on the AD side so
that all user if other domains in the forest can use the forest root
suffix as realm, in the user principal (u...@nafta.company.org  ->
u...@company.org).

I would expect that there are messages like "UPN used in the request
...differ by more than just the case." in the domain log at 'TueDec  6
19:57:11'  and 'TueDec  6 19:57:14'.

If that's the case updating to4.4  would help because in this release
IPA can forward the enterprise principals properly and SSSD will not
reject the changed principal because sSSD will be aware of the change.

But there are workarounds to make it work with your version as well,
please see e.g. the suggestion from
https://www.redhat.com/archives/freeipa-users/2016-May/msg00205.html  .

HTH

bye,
Sumit

  • ... List dedicated to discussions about use, configuration and deployment of the IPA server.
    • ... List dedicated to discussions about use, configuration and deployment of the IPA server.
      • ... List dedicated to discussions about use, configuration and deployment of the IPA server.
        • ... Sumit Bose
          • ... Chris Dagdigian
          • ... Chris Dagdigian
          • ... Chris Dagdigian