Would it be reasonable to request a feature for FreeIPA to enforce
password history reuse based on age, instead of a count? Meaning
configure FreeIPA to enforce that a password cannot be reused within the
last 1 year? Then we could remove the minimum time between password
changes, and not worry about people cycling through X passwords to be
able to reuse one.

When we were using OpenLDAP for user account management, I wrote an
extension for it to do just that and it was rather convenient (not
having to deal with an annoying min-change-time). The whole
min-time-between-changes, and number-of-passwords-in-history thing has
always seemed like a hack to accomplish the true goal of preventing
users from reusing passwords within a certain amount of time.

-Patrick