On Sun, Dec 31, 2000 at 02:26:00PM -0800, Ian Clarke wrote:

> So if I had a penny for every time I see someone say "If only Freenet
> was implemented in C++, then I would love to help", I would be, er,
> looking for some way to offload a lot of change.

I think a lot of this can be explained by looking at the
freenet.sourceforge.net download page, to wit:

"
This section lists the stable versions of the official Freenet node
written in Java. For the current development versions (nightly
snapshots) have a look in the Development section. You will find links to
third party contributions using Freenet as well.
Contrib Contributed software
QuickStart A short guide to running Freenet
Release 0.2 The second beta of Freenet
Release 0.3 The third beta of Freenet
"

Just at first glance, I see several things:
1) no mention of the whiterose software
2) no use of the word fred to describe the java client (thus leading the
reader to believe that Freenet <=> Fred
3) the use of the word offical, blessing Fred as 'The One True Client'

Even prospective developers are guilty of the "grab a binary and see what
the code looks like" thing.  And if you do that, wow, it's written in
Java, I don't speak java, oh well...

I think if we just cleaned up this one page that would go a long way
towards correcting your concerns

Cheers/Dale

--

"If the internet routes around failure why does www.microsoft.com resolve?"