At 11:15 AM 8/17/2001 +1000, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've been happily using FreeRadius for a little over a month now and
>it's been working great.  Great job to you developers, and thank you.
>
>We're a small operation way out here, and currenly we only have 3 dial
>in lines.  These have just been served from standard serial port
>connections to standard modems on  a machine running RH 7.0 w/
>Portslave.  But now we're looking at the possibilities of expanding to 8
>or 16+ dial in lines.  So I'm looking for advice on a RAS/NAS for
>purchase to handle these dialup lines.  I've briefly investigated, and
>found that Cisco has their 2500 line of "Access Server Routers", which
>looks like a standalone device for 4/8/16 "serial" lines.  I've also
>looked at Digi's "Acceleport RAS" line, which looks would basically be
>4/8 modems per card.  These would get plugged into a PC, and I'd run
>Portslave on them, of course.  Any advice on which way to go with this
>stuff, or better options.

I've always been partial to the Lucent/Livingston Portmaster line for
a small NAS setup.  It is now discontinued by Lucent, but it is/was
a solid product, IMHO.

The PM2/PM25 takes external modems ( IE, it has no internal modems ).

The PM3 has internal modems ( V.90 ) and terminates 2 T1/E1 PRI/CT1's.

You can find these used for very cheap on various ISP Equipment lists.

-Chris
--
    \\\|||///  \  Chris Parker    -    Manager, Development Engineering
    \ ~   ~ /   \       WX *is* Wireless!    \   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    | @   @ |    \   http://www.starnetwx.net \      (847) 963-0116
                   \ Without C we would have 'obol', 'basi', and 'pasal'

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html