freeradius 0.2, RH linux 7.1, MySQL 3.23.41 source distributon

Trying to use mysql for authentication and authorization, when I run
configure I get the following error: "warning: mysql headers not found. use
--with-mysql-include-dir=<path>"

Ok, I'm probly going to get told off for this, I know this question has been
asked on this list before and I apologise if there's something in the
archives I've missed.

I've been through all relevant the posts in the archive I could find and
tried the various fixes suggested and still no joy.

this is my configure command:

./configure --with-mysql-include-dir=/usr/local/mysql/mysql/include
--with-mysql-lib-dir=/usr/local/lib --with-mysql-dir=/usr/local/mysql/mysql

I've confirmed that mysql.h is in my includes directory.

I've run this command both in the base freeradius installation directory and
then in the rlm_sql_mysql dir.

Since the configure script seems to be appending mysql/mysql.h to my
includes directory I've tried adding a further /mysql dir inside this
directory with mysql.h inside it, and also then a symbolic link as follows:
>ln -s ./mysql

I've pretty much drawn a blank now - should I try downloading
freeradius-snapshot-20010820.tar.gz? I read in one post that the configure
script wasn't actually checking for the include directory in the command
line - could this be the problem?

Thanks,

Paul

*ducks*