In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Matt Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> In radiusd.conf is there any way to have
>>
>> detailfile = ${radacctdir}/%{Client-HostName}/detail
>>
>> instead of:
>>
>> detailfile = ${radacctdir}/%{Client-IP-Address}/detail
>
>  Not really.  The Client-HostName attribute isn't added to the
>request.  It would do DNS lookups, which are bad in a fast server.

.. but you have the hostname anyway in RADCLIENT. Even an
official long name and a short abbreviation. So no DNS lookups
are required. In fact the short name was invented exactly
for this purpose. The terminology is wrong though; it would
have been better to use 'address' instead of 'longname' and
'logname' or similar instead of 'shortname'.

Same for NAS-IP-Address, which you can easily translate to
a hostname using the NAS structure.

Mike.
--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
 and I'm not sure about the former" -- Albert Einstein.